Sunday 27 March 2011

A Tentative Call For Sympathy

With a sad wanton lust to share my uninteresting thoughts on music with a vague unknown audience I am beginning 'to blog'. I feel like I am losing my virginity again, I am terrified and over excited.

My uninteresting thoughts on music generally comprise a collection of my musings on a song, I get a little over obsessed with songs, particularly the lyrics. If you are a little sad and obsessed (like me) with those little meanings and connections between lyrics and songs and life and artists please read on. Pressing the follow button would get me a little wet, but I'm not sure we are ready for that yet.

I will include a link to a playlist containing the songs for your listening pleasure with every post. I am going to start slow and just ramble on about one song today.

Nosferatu Man Playlist 1


Paul Brady - Crazy Dreams - Hard Station (1981)

Paul Brady is a Northern Irish singer-songwriter. I don't know much about the scope of his work, he played with 'Planxty' and 'The Johnstons'. If I am honest this is the only song of his I have ever listened to.

I came across the track when browsing through a friends music library that I had transferred to an external hard drive of mine. It was a case of love at first listen. Brady's voice falls over his melodic guitar playing like warm chocolate cascading down a chocolate fountain. It is a tender song detailing some of the conflicting feelings prevalent in what I presume may have been Brady's own love life.

The first verse has always struck me as very poignant and meaningful, he sings of it being ''10 below out on these city streets, Oh the feeling in your heart is even colder''. He has described the weather as being very harsh in the opening lines and the way he contrasts it to that cold feeling in your heart, that can be so much colder has always impressed me.

'You're tired of dreaming someone else's dreams, when they really don't include you any longer'. I guess this line is pretty self explanatory, it is a this point I always wonder who Brady is referring to. Is he singing to somebody in particular or is he using 'you' and 'you're' yo refer to his own feelings. Describing how he feels or felt at a certain time, is this song a declaration or a reflection?

'It's still 2 hours 'til this plane gets down, I can hardly bear to wait another minute, Your sweet lovin's all I need, And darling it's been building up inside of me'. This 'darling' would appear to be the lady he has directed the songs earlier lyrics at. The cold heart he refers to, could it be her heart? I find this a little challenging to believe as he now seems so very much in love with her. Maybe he was referring to his own heart and how he feels cold and empty when away touring maybe? Another part of my overworked brain reasons that he could again be his heart that is cold and the darling he flies to is simply any girl he meets. His heart is cold as he is living someone else's dreams and his only release is a tryst.

Thank you for reading, skimming, skipping straight to the bottom to leave a malicious comment, or whatever it is you are up to.

Feel free to leave any comments or questions, I will endeavour to respond to them all, that is to say if I am busy it may take a few days and if I am not busy I will probably respond in way too much depth and leave you feeling a little weirded out.

No comments:

Post a Comment