Thursday 30 June 2011

EXCLUSIVE - Youth Lagoon: E-mail Interview

Following on from the discovery of Youth Lagoon's Soundcloud page. I e-mailed Trevor Powers, the man behind the music, and mooted the idea of an e-mail interview. So here we are, this column is losing it's interview virginity.





1)  Can you tell us a little about yourself and where you are from etc?
    
   My name is Trevor William Powers and I was raised in Boise, ID. I spend a lot of my spare time laying in parks. Or going to shows at a small dive bar called the Neurolux in downtown Boise. 

 
2) What is in the pipeline for Youth Lagoon, new material upcoming etc?
  
      I am going to have my debut album coming out soon..  It will be entitled The Year of Hibernation. I have recently signed with a label and am going to be announcing everything including the release date shortly. 



3) In terms of your music are you trying to create something beautiful or are you trying to tell us something? (basically just is your musical concept aesthetically based or is it a medium of communication for you?

      I would say that my music is definitely something aimed more at myself. I mean that in the way that my music is very personal. A lot of it is built around the anxiety I have struggled with my whole life and turning that into music. Not just my anxiety, but all kinds of things I have spinning around in my mind or memories I am still dealing and struggling with. I realize that if I am honest in my music, other people will be able to relate to it. And I think there is definitely a certain beauty in that. 



4) If you were faced with a two hour car drive with two strangers what two albums would you bring for the journey?

       Ahh soo tough.  At this point, I'd have to say Cass McCombs' "Wit's End" and I'd probably put my buddies TEENS track "Die With You" on repeat..


Once again folks and folkettes you can listen to Youth Lagoon by clicking on this link and I highly recommend you do. Because, you know what? It's fucking fantastic.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment