Sunday 3 April 2011

Links Between Songs Turn Me On

I am not referring to internet links, rather those quirky references and links between songs. 

I have included some of my favourites in an uber neat playlist for your listening pleasure. It is hosted by youtube this week as Grooveshark did not have some of the songs I wished to include.


I recently read a book titled 'The Making Of The Dark Side Of The Moon', it was fantastic, well worth a read. I found it made the most perfect bathroom book ever, it is still sitting on the windowsill by the toilet and one of the housemates has tucked into it. 

It makes reference to a link between Breathe and the Neil Young classic 'Down By The River', listening to the two songs back is interesting as you notice the very similar chord progression. I think that is the word, my technical knowledge is very poor, I am unfortunate enough to be musically retarded and obsessed. What I am trying to say is the chords used in the two songs sound very similar!






Roberta Flack (pictured above) covered the song 'Killing me Softly' which was first performed by Lori Lieberman. Flacks version is probably the most famous. The original however has a most wonderful little inside music link. Lieberman went to a Don McLean concert one evening and was so inspired or affected by his music that she wrote a poem about the experience. Sometime later she related the poem to Norman Gimbel who rearranged and augmented the poem and passed it on to Charles Fox who put it to music. I like to fantasize that McLean may have finished his set with 'Vincent'. And so completing for me a gorgeous and flawless link between Van Gogh, Flack and McLean. I often tell this to girls at parties when I am trying to be impressive!

Also in the playlist are 'Southern Man' again by Neil Young and Lynryd Skynyrd's 'Sweet Home Alabama', which contains of course the wonderfully acerbic retort 'I hope Neil Young will remember, A southern man don't need him around anyhow'.

As always any questions etc, or ideas for a posting, they would be welcome too, don't be shy, I've never had a comment left. A little ritual deflowering perchance....

4 comments:

  1. Very well written! Interesting blog you've got here; I think I'm going to follow it a bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, if you have anything you'd like to see written about feel free to suggest it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought maybe you could write something about the comeback of Justice (the French house duo)...
    Just an idea though; I don't know if you're interested in that kind of music at all :)

    Btw: I'm Problematique from MusicBanter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to explore Justice a bit myself first. But I will put up something on them thank you.

    ReplyDelete