Tuesday 30 August 2011

Musings #12 & 35


I am getting up in the morning and packing my backpack and getting on an aeroplane. I am flying to London Stansted. Then I am going to see Pulp at the Brixton Academy. Pulp were the first band I truly loved. The band that thought me to listen to music by albums. Jarvis Cocker's wondrous lyrics, the brilliant ironic, cynical and sardonic take on the years between 1993 and 1995 (His n'Hers and A Different Class). The era that spawned the incestuous opening to 'Razzmatazz' the innate summation of the despair of the masses on Common People, not to mention the iconic Babies. Pulp are and always have been my favourite band. I will bore you further when I get back from the gig. I'll leave you with my top three Pulp songs.





I am lying about now dying for something bleak and slow moving so as to hasten my departure to the land of nod. I have stumbled across a couple of old favourites of mine that for me anyway fit the bill. Bark Psychosis released an album in the mid nineties that captivated the listener and delivered an epic journey through post rock heaven. The opening track is a big favourite of mine.


This title was inspired by the Bob Dylan song, another great opening track; Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35. The famous chorus line; 'Everybody must get stoned' makes stoners everywhere a little happier every time they hear it.


Apologies for having deviated from the journey into melodic and sombre slumber. We may resume with another track in that vein right here and right now. A far cry from his feel good rocker moments Bruce Springsteen toned it down and poured himself into Nebraska. The haunting vocals and the as expected; perfect songwriting and formidable guitar playing combine to create a fantastic album. I have gone with the second track here. The harmonica is great too it seems to join on and elongate the vocals at times.


Rounding off tonight's posting is Anomie Belle's song Down. It is my attempt at a trip hop equivalent of the recurrent theme.


No comments:

Post a Comment