Wednesday 6 April 2011

Pulp - Learning From You

I have always liked Pulp mainly because of the witty observations of Jarvis Cocker. I first fell in love with the music of Pulp when I was about 13 years old. I had heard 'Common People' and was curious. I was a Limewire user back there and I can still remember clicking download on a song called 'Sorted For E's and Whizz'. It recalls so brilliantly the experience of attending a music festival. Cocker sings 'I lost my friends, I danced alone' of it being 'Just 20'000 people standing in a field'. The whole experience was transferred perfectly into one song.



From there my love for Pulp blossomed, it is early morning here and I have a day of college ahead which will preclude me from typing out a quasi-opus of reasons to love Pulp.

They are reforming the 'classic line-up', the same wonderful folk who brought us 'A Different Class'. They will play a number of festivals and gigs this summer. I am signed up to the 'official' mailing list from Pulp People (open in new tab).

During the week I received a rather fantastic email which read;


'Welcome to PulpTube! During the process of learning to play the old songs again we have been consulting 
the cover versions posted online.Vote for your favourites by 'liking them - or upload your own renditions if you think you can do better. (We're offering a musical prize to the winner)


PulpTube available at the above link is a simple stream of videos posted by people online who have covered Pulp songs. We see a whole range of artists, from folk who sit by their webcam with guitar and play to their hearts content. The  highlight in this category would have to be 'John C' from Spain and his rendition of Razzmatazz. The juxtaposition of his natural Spanish accent and the quaint Sheffield accent he strives for is simultaneously ridiculous and sublime. There are college bands and rag-tag cover bands playing in rag-tag bars. There are a number of gems present too.

Top 3 Covers on PulpTube

Whip! - Do You Remember The First Time?
Cristina Da Silva - Like A Friend
Lactantes - Babies

If nothing more I really admired the clear effort Pulp have put into their fans here. Each and every email from Pulppeople is written in a personal manner from the first person perspective of the band. PulpTube is a polite wave to all the fans who have obsessed over them for years now.

I never thought I would see Pulp live, I think I always loved them more for it, some sort of perverse musical want what you can't have. The announcement of the reunion has made my year. I simply cannot wait to see Jarvis et al live. Do you remember the first time?

Ask. Answer. Ask. Answer

No comments:

Post a Comment