Tuesday 5 April 2011

A Cover Note

Bruce Springsteen recorded a version of Bob Dylan's 'I Want You' in 1975. The song I want you is one of my all time favourite songs. This version is my favourite cover version of any song, ever. Springsteen extends the song turns it into more of ballad. Dylan's version had a more jaunty high spirited air, Springsteen's is noticably more melancholic.

Bruce Springsteen - I Want You (Click open in new tab)

The instrumental too is varied and it does feel like a markedly different song at times. The lyrics though remain resolutely Dylan. No other songwriter for me has ever managed to do what he did with lyrics.


In this song I am forever fascinated by the line 'And I wait for them to interrupt, me drinking for my broken cup', he has just made reference to the saviours who are fast asleep and waiting for the subject of the song. He waits for her to come back to him I think. His saviours are in fact her and he cannot become connected to her again.

The image of the broken cup is fascinating to me, drinking from a broken cup can only be a manner for not being happy or well. Why does Dylan not want these saviours to interrupt him from his place of misery? I have never been able to understand it, I have heard various explanations but nothing I have ever heard has satisfied me. I think it is for that reason that I love this song so much, it still eludes me a little every time I listen to it.

As always questions, quibbles and queries are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment