Monday 11 April 2011

Horses; The most influential debut ever?

Patti Smith, female, 29 years old releases debut album; Horses. I can imagine there was a press release somewhere that read something like that. Some innocent, perfunctory communication acknowledging the existence of the album. The calm before the storm or so to speak I suppose.



I have been listening to it a lot recently. The song 'Break It Up' is probably my favourite track on the album. The chorus is a brilliant celebration of Smith's powerful voice. Few female vocalists really do it for me, Smith is up there with Winehouse and Karen O as my favourite 3 female vocalists.

The album has a secondary attractive feature for me of having a great legacy in terms of influence. I will outline a few of these links and put together a wee playlist for you to have a wee listen to. You know, if you want to, don't feel obligated.

Patti Smith et al list

Michael Stipe was a massive fan of Smith, declaring that after hearing her music he wanted to go out and form a band. He recalls buying Horses when he was in high school and described the album of being along the lines of a life changing experience. Patti Smith was subsequently invited to perform backing vocals on the REM track 'E-Bow the Letter' which co-incidentally is probably my favourite REM song.

From one great band to another; Johnny Marr and Morrisey of The Smiths shared a common love for Horses too. One of their earlier songs 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle' is their reworking of Kimberely from Horses. Pete Doherty was similarly influenced and used a lyric from the title track to name the song 'The Boy Looked At Johnny'. Also included on the playlist is Sammy Hagar's cover of 'Free Money'. I am not sure how big a fan of the cover I am but you might love it, who knows?

Yours Sincerely, dearly and completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment